Welcome to Kraken Corgi! We offer dog care tips, dog training advice, and more!
Learning how to get your dog to stop barking isn’t really as difficult as it may seem. You can train your dog to stop excessive barking day and night but you will have to be consistent. Keep reading to discover how to get your dog to stop barking. This method is easy once you learn how to open the lines of communication with your dog.
How to Get Your Dog to Stop Barking
The Squirt Gun Method to Stop Barking
Using a squirt gun is an effective way to teach dogs not to bark excessively. This training method will work with the majority of dogs. Its a very easy training technique and a very humane way to teach your do not stop barking. For an investment of just the few dollars, combined with a little imagination and some water, there can be quiet for you, peace or your neighbors, and a calm demeanor for your dog. For this method to work, you will need to invest a few bucks in a squirt gun. I’m NOT talking about those super soakers. Purchase a nice simple squirt gun. This is all that is needed. Spend a few dollars on a squirt gun and you will gain a quiet peace for yourself, your family, and your neighbors.
How to Get Your Dog to Stop Barking – Understanding Canine Mentality
One of the keys to this how to get your dog to stop barking method is to understand how to a dog thinks. Dogs learn things by association. Dogs associate their own actions with your positive or negative reactions. You will need to give this training method at least seven full days to stop dog barking. Your Corgi will need the full seven days to “get it”.
How to Get Your Dog to Stop Barking – The Method
- Whenever your dog is barking excessively, very calmly take out your squirt gun and smile at your dog, walk over to him or her and squirt the dog on the face – right between his or her eyes. While squirting give a verbal command loudly, like, “No!” Do not say anything else to your dog. If your dog was outside, calmly walk back inside. If your dog was indoor, just go back to what you were doing. Be ready to repeat this procedure over and over, every time your dog barks.
- From this point on you will need to be consistent. Your attitude should be, whenever your dog barks for no reason, he or she is really asking you to squirt their face with water.
Here’s a step by step on how get your dog to stop barking:
- Corgi barks for no reason.
- You happily walk over to the dog with squirt gun in hand.
- Give dog a squirt.
- Shout a command such as, “No!”
- Do not say anything else to your dog and go back to what you were doing.
- Repeat the process every time your dog barks for no reason.
The Results: If you think this method is too simple to work, just try giving it a few days. I can pretty much guarantee you will hear less frequent barking. After a few days of getting squirted in the face with water your Corgi will begin to think you just don’t get dog language. Dogs respond to repetition and are very intelligent, he or she will soon decide they don’t like your game and the excessive barking will stop.
Your Corgi will determine the best way to stop getting squirted in the face from your little game is to be quiet. After 4-7 days of consistent training your dog should get it. Remember dogs are just like people and may backslide into old bad behaviors. If your dog starts to forget barking isn’t cool, get out the squirt gun and give your Corgi a refresher course on the “How to get your dog to stop barking” with a squirt gun method.